Looking For A Sample Research Paper Abstract: Helpful Tips
A research paper abstract helps in providing those who will read your work with the outline of your methods and results, so it’s quite important to make sure it’s well-written because it affects their impression of your overall effort. If you’re unsure what it looks like or what it is, this article should be of help.
- Definition: If you have not yet looked up what it is, you should know that it’s a mere summary of your paper, summing up briefly the methods you used and the results you had. There’s no need to go in the slightest detail; this is only an overview to understand your paper in the most abridged nutshell.
- Where it goes: This synopsis goes before the research itself. However, this may confuse some for that makes them treat it as if it were an introduction, rather than a summary. You should also avoid writing it before getting to your results even if you know exactly what you’re going to be doing. Such a summary should always be saved for last, then placed at the beginning.
- Importance: You should start by letting the reader know why your topic is essential and should bring the reader closer to your intended purpose of writing it.
- Informative, but not verbose: I know I have stressed that you should never go too much into detail, but it shouldn’t be anything near mysterious either. It should not be treated as a hook to grab the reader’s attention, but it should merely summarize the main points of your paper.
- Problem and solution: What issue have you come across that motivated you to write this? This is something that would be smart to include, as well as the solution to it and what methods you used that lead you to these results and conclusion.
- Avoid copying and pasting: Of course, this is not about plagiarism, for you surely know your entire paper should be authentic. This is about how you should avoid rephrasing yourself and reusing statements you employed in your original paper.
If you’re still having a difficult time picturing the form of an abstract and how you can list the previously mentioned contents, it would be a great idea to look up samples online, there are usually countless examples, plenty of which are real.
We hope we were of help, and we wish you the best of luck on your project!